Google Analytics Errors: "Resource is not available" and "Internal Error"
From time to time Google Analytics will fail and you will receive one of the following messages:
- "Resource is not available. Please try again later. One or more of the services on which we depend is unavailable. Please try again later after the service has had a chance to recover."
- "Internal error. Please try again later. Analytics has encountered an unexpected condition and cannot fulfill the request."
Possible Causes for "Resource is Not Available" and "Internal error."
Besides the text of the error, there is not much information about it, but broadly it can be one of these:
- Client side/ Your system: these are mostly related to your browser configuration or some restricted action. I'll detail below possible solutions for these.
- Google Analytics side (scheduled maintenance, improvements, resource outage, internal bug) in this cases there isn't much to do but wait for Google to fix it.
Possible Fixes for "Resource is Not Available" and "Internal error."
To fix the issue with the "Resource is not available" try these solutions in that order
- Refresh the page: may sound like a dumb solution but sometimes it works.
- Log Out/Log In: again seems trivial but sometimes simply by logging out and in again.
- Check your text: if you are creating filters, segments, custom dimension, etc., make sure you are not entering a character that is not allowed or exceeding the maximum characters.
- Clear your cache and cookies: clearing your browser cache and cookies the new "have you tried turning it off and on again?"
- Incognito or Guest Mode: sometimes these errors are caused by an extension or configuration on your current browser, using a browser in incognito mode or guest mode will help with that.
- Use a different network: sometimes the issue is related to your network/IP. Try using your mobile internet, or using another IP connecting through VPN.
- Delete old bookmarks: Analytics recently changed some of its URL structure, if you have bookmarks previous to May 2017, delete them and create new ones.
- You abused the use of GA: not really, but if you like me work with many many Analytics accounts at the same time, Google might say "hey! are you real?", simply refresh the page and check the box "I'm not a robot"
- Mobile Apps: the Google Analytics apps for mobile:
Get In Touch with the Analytics Team
If none of the above solutions worked then the problem is most probably on Google Analytics server. Send feedback to Google Analytics support by:
- Clicking on the three dots at the top right corner of your Analytics and select "Send Feedback"
- On the official @googleanalytics twitter account.
Sometimes the error is caused by a scheduled maintenance or improvements of the Analytics service in those cases the GA team will usually notify the users via twitter.
- September 7, 2016
Error: "Resource is not available. Please try again later. One or more of the services on which we depend is unavailable. Please try again later after the service has had a chance to recover."
Some users may be experiencing issues with real time reporting. We are working on a fix and expect to have everything back to normal soon.
— Google Analytics (@googleanalytics) September 7, 2016
It's important to note that whether these errors are caused on the Analytics Servers or in your computer, your data won't be affected.
no data is impacted. You can still view the data if you clear cookies or use an incognito browser window.
— Google Analytics (@googleanalytics) September 8, 2016